Library of Academy of Music in Sarajevo was established in 1955, together with Academy itself. The first holdings (books and printed music sheets) arrived in 1956, a total of 587 library units. War events in the period between 1992 and 1995 interrupted the intensive growth of the library and an increase in library holdings, and it is assumed that a large part of holdings was lost, destroyed or alienated in another way.
Since 1996, activities have restarted, as well as the review of holdings, new cataloguing, enrichment of holdings through donations, gifts, etc. The library of Music Academy reviewed the found holdings of graduation, master and doctoral papers; by 2004, an electronic book of holdings was created, which is being supplemented with data on “new” papers.
In the period between 2005 and 2015, the library of Music Academy received a great number of donations and gifts, mostly gramophone records, monographs (particularly professional literature on the history of music, history and development of national schools, jazz, blues, American music etc.), and printed music sheets (mostly pocket-size scores, Peters Edition publications, etc.)
By 2010, the library holdings were catalogued in the Metelwin library software (Varazdin, Croatia), although the book recording and search module was the only active part. Library of Music Academy became a full member of the Cooperative online bibliographic system and service (COBISS) in 2009.
The library is intended for students and academic staff of Music Academy, and it can also be used by other citizens and researchers under defined conditions.